July 4, 2016

Sweet Land of Liberty

Happy 4th of July Everyone!  

Julie here, sharing my Mixed Media card using the Grunge Elements stamp set from the Artistic Outpost Spring 2016 Release by Our Daily Bread Designs along with the previously released Hero stamp set.


In the United States, we are celebrating Independence Day today and I wanted to create another patriotic card using a modified version of the Vintage Watercolor technique.




I absolutely love the images in the Hero stamp set and they are a perfect pair with Grunge Elements! I used two of the images from Hero in this vintage style card- the flag image as well as the female poster style image. 

I inked the flag image from Hero with water-based markers before stamping onto white cardstock- a denim blue for the stars and cherry for the stripes.

Once stamped, I added Ranger® Tim Holtz® Tea Dye Distress Ink to the background and used a Speedball® Elegant Writer® 2.0 mm pen to outline some of the flag areas, blending the ink with a water brush to achieve the vintage watercolor effect.


I continued to add the TH Tea Dye ink along with the black marker until I was satisfied with the results, then I stamped the large splatter stamp from Grunge Elements with TH Tea Dye Distress Ink as well.


The background was created by stamping the poster female image stamp from Hero with TH Tea Dye Distress Ink three times across a piece of ODBD Patriotic 6x6 Paper, trimming the image and adding additional distressing with a star embossing folder (even though most of the background stamping is covered up by the other elements, you can see a bit of her face and eye in the upper right hand corner). 

I layered the background panel onto white denim blue and cherry cardstock, added the ODBD Beautiful Borders Die cut with cherry grosgrain ribbon before mounting the entire background panel to the denim blue card base.

I added the flag panel with dimensional foam to finish off this vintage card. 

Hopefully I have inspired you to pull out your Artistic Outpost stamps and have fun this week!  If so, don’t forget to come play along and enter your AO artwork into the “July Show Us Your AO Art Challenge” – please click here for details.

Thanks again for stopping by- I hope all of you have a wonderful week!


Designer- Julie Gearinger

No comments: