April 23, 2013

Steaming Ahead

Hi everyone!  Alison here, with a very rare sighting indeed: a card!  Yup, I really don't quite understand it, but I find making cards almost impossibly hard.  Even if I pretend to myself it's just a differently shaped tag or a paper canvas, somehow my brain is not fooled, and I struggle really hard to make anything.

So when it came to making a birthday card for my adorable nephew, I nearly came unstuck.  But by gritting my teeth, grabbing an AO image - he loves trains, or indeed anything with wheels! - and my current favourite greens and blues, as well as some leftovers, I finally got there.  (Still not sure about it to be perfectly honest... but I think he'll like it, and I suppose that's the point!)
He loved going to see the Sunday steam train departure at Stratford upon Avon station when they came to stay with me, so I knew the train from the SteamPunk set was a good starting point.
I love this stamp... it's so fabulously detailed.  I've gently tinted it with some Distress Inks, and the body of the train itself is done with Perfect Pearls Mist in Pewter, spritzed onto the craft mat and then painted on with a brush.  It has quite a cool sheen to it.
I also had some useful embossed metallic leftovers from my Steampunk Fairytale book, so I pressed those into service as the background panel and as my nephew's age in years, cut with the Tim Holtz WordPlay die.
The blended blues and greens go all the way onto the back of the card, with lots of spritz and flick technique - I'm in love with it at the moment...
It had to be flat to travel across Europe by post, so there are just some alcohol inked sticky foil gears added (not even being able to embellish - that's extreme card-making purgatory, as far as I'm concerned!).
There's some simple b&w stamping on the inside, showing off the image in another way.

And that's pretty much that - let me know what you think...  And if you've got any ideas for overcoming my card-making phobia, I'd really be grateful!!

Don't forget there's still time to enter the April Referral Program here at Artistic Outpost... just one AO image on your project qualifies you for the draw.  Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Designer: Alison Bomber
Words and Pictures

13 comments:

Fliss said...

Just gorgeous Alison. I'm sure he will love this fabulous creation and the train is fabulous.
Fliss xx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is terrific! What a great idea to use the train for a little boy! He will love it,

Lucy x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Ooh, I think you did an awesome job on this card, Alison! I'm hooked on that color palette too so I really love what you did with the sponging and the spritz and flick. And what a cool idea to paint with the Perfect Pearls mist - thanks for sharing that technique. I think your nephew is going to love this card - I sure do!

Hugs,
Linda

Nan G said...

Fabulous steamer! Perfect for a train-lover. Ah, I think most of us have some aspect that we struggle with in our art. Your card is wonderful!

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Alison! You're nephew is certain to treasure your card for years to come. I would not have known you had a card fear but I truly relate as I have a non card fear! Thanks for sharing your inner feelings along with this gorgeous card. Beautifully designed! Hugs, Yvonne

Dianne said...

Alison, love seeing you everywhere:):). This card is beautiful inside and out and even the back. You're the BOMB girly, and your nephew will think so too, thanks for your inspiration and your amazing work. Have a wonderful day..

Dagmar said...


this is an absolutely great card - I really like it!

Dorthe said...

A wonderful card for your nephew, Alison- wonderful steampunk, and artistic work together, with the great train mooving through the green surroundings under the blue sky!
He will love it!!!
Hugs,Dorthe

sara j said...

I bet he thinks he's got the cooles Aunt around

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous card Alison, bet your nephew loves it.
Hugs Brenda xox

Terry said...

Alison, your nephew will love this card! The framing around the beautifully colored train is a nice touch! I can almost hear the whistle! Love it!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Brilliant card! Advice on getting over your card making phobia - not from me! I started making cards for family and now they expect one - even if I'm not in a card making mood! Having said that, I know they appreciate them! Chrisx

Bonnie Irvine said...

This card is beautiful and looks like it floated together magically. I'm assuming those water droplets aren't from tears...LOL. Love the background and the metallic embossed bits. They suit the image so well. I hope he has a wonderful birthday. I'm sure he'll love this card!