April 20, 2014

Our Hero

I didn't set out to make a military tag this week but when I started playing around with the new Chevron Frameworks die, it just developed that way.  It was a brand new die and as I slid it out of the case, I thought why not cut the acrylic packaging with the die and make a stencil, so I did.  The tag already had green distress stain on blotted on it.  Then I sponged over the areas that weren't green with Stormy Ski.  You can see on the lower right I stenciled the tag using my homemade stencil and black archival ink.  Next, the Chevron die was used to a die cut from  Co'ordinations kraft core card stock which was then sanded.  The stars were stenciled across the top with the Tim Holtz stars stencil and silver Wendy Vecchi embossing paste. After the stars dried, I silvered embossed the flag on the base of the tag and then glued the chevron die cut over it.  My focal point is the stamped photo of the soldier with the flag in the background.  It's stamped on the shield die cut from the Regal Crest die.  The leaves were blotchily embossed with Silver Embossing.  I stamped HERO on the banner, rubbed it with Vintage Photo to age it.  Once it was glued down, I embellished it with a mirrored star on each end. 

I finished the tag off with a rosette.  I  reinforced it by adding two strips of tissue tape before swiping it with Barn Door distress stain.  

And that's it. All the stamps used are from the Hero stamp set.   The photos don't do it justice.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Hope your weekend is fabulous.

Designer:  Linda Coughlin
The Funkie Junkie

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I looked at this for the longest time, examining everything. It has such depth. There is a lot going on, but it looks like a work of art. I can tell you really put a lot of effort into this piece. Thanks for sharing the idea of making a stencil out of the packaging material. I save a lot of packaging, because you never know what you can use it for. So now I have one idea for it ๐Ÿ˜Š Great piece (as usual๐Ÿ˜Š)

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning tag Linda, love the use of those dies and how you stamped on them, very effective! Have a happy sunny Easter!

Terry said...

Don't you just love it when you don't plan on something and then it turns out fabulous! Kind of like this tag, Linda! Love our Hero and using the Regal Crest was so clever! Love this!

Words and Pictures said...

Such a fantastic tag - love the colours and those fab silver stars - and the banner is great at the bottom.
Alison x